The Good, The Bad and The Critic

Established on March 19th, 2012 and pioneered by film fanatic Michael J. Carlisle. The Good, The Bad and The Critic will analyze classic and contemporary films from all corners of the globe. This title references Sergei Leone's influential spaghetti western The Good, The Bad and the Ugly.

Friday, May 5, 2017

Review #931: The Master of Disguise (2002)

Title: The Master of Disguise
Year: 2002
Director: Perry Blake
Country: US
Language: English


In 2002, when I was 10-11 years old, my parents took me to the nearby theater to see Master of Disguise. As much as it will shock readers today to hear it, I actually did enjoy Dana Carvey's film and so did many others in Elementary School. For months I would hear quotes from the film like "It just might work!" and "Am I not turtley enough for the turtle club?". These days the film gets constantly shit on, but I remember a time (jeeze I sound old) when this wasn't considered THAT bad. 

An Italian waiter (Dana Carvey) fights off a criminal mastermind with his inherited powers of disguise.

As stated previously, the internet loves to hate on The Master of Disguise. Plenty of review shows with hack critics saying "this isn't funny!" and "this impression is horrible!" Sure yes, for adults its pretty bad but CLEARLY isn't marketed towards adults. Its a silly children's comedy designed to make immature children laugh and get them repeating infectious lines of dialogue. Love it or hate it, "Am I not turtley enough for the turtle club" is memorable as fuck. 

Children do not know who Dana Carvey is aside from this film, they do not have a broad depth of comedy to look forward to. They don't "get" the humor of Louis C.K or Sarah Silverman. Sure, maybe I'm undermining the intelligence of children just a little, but I guarantee most pre-pre teens will love it. Granted I don't get why Carvey chooses older films, like Jaws, to imitate but then again why does the Genie in Aladdin portray Groucho Marx?

Again, for Adults this type of comedy isn't exactly on par with Saturday Night Live or Wayne's World (albeit Turtle Club is funnier than SCHWING) but as a low brow comedy that is primarily aimed at impressionable children it works.

No Rating

No comments:

Post a Comment