The Good, The Bad and The Critic

Established on March 19th, 2012 and pioneered by film fanatic Michael J. Carlisle. The Good, The Bad and The Critic will analyze classic and contemporary films from all corners of the globe. This title references Sergei Leone's influential spaghetti western The Good, The Bad and the Ugly.

Sunday, May 20, 2018

10 Favourite Superhero Movies


A decade ago, if you were to ask me about superhero movies, I would have told you that I absolutely hated them (INCLUDING Raimi's Spiderman) and that they were never amount to much in American Cinema. The best that had come out so far was Ironman, and even that wasn't great. I would avoid the...genre? sub-genre? completely until Thor Ragnarok and then I was fully on board!

Recently I've lost myself in the world of Marvel (sorry DC, I really tried, but Suicide Squad was beyond reprehensible) and I watched Black Panther, Deadpool 2 & Infinity Wars in theatres, as well as Spiderman: Homecoming, Guardians of the Galaxy I & II, Doctor Strange & Civil War (among others) through other means like Netflix or Blu-Ray/Digital Download. 

I still think the superhero movies have a long way to go before they can be fully considered "art" & not just pop-corn munching entertainment (like, why does every one of these need to be an action movie?) but I do like where the movies are headed and, for now, I look forward to what the future brings. 

10. The Dark Knight (2008)

9. Thor: Ragnarok (2017)

8. Doctor Strange (2016) 

7. Captain America: Civil War (2016)

6. Logan (2017)

5. Blade II (2002)

4. Avengers: Infinity Wars (2018)

3. Black Panther (2018)

2. Guardians of the Galaxy Vol.II (2017)

1. Mystery Men (1999)


No comments:

Post a Comment