The Good, The Bad and The Critic

Established on March 19th, 2012 and pioneered by film fanatic Michael J. Carlisle. The Good, The Bad and The Critic will analyze classic and contemporary films from all corners of the globe. This title references Sergei Leone's influential spaghetti western The Good, The Bad and the Ugly.

Monday, July 1, 2019

10 Best Criterion Editions

10 Best Criterion Editions














The Criterion Collection is a home video company known for distributing amazing editions of your favourite classic and contemporary films. The impressive picture quality, sound quality and supplements of each release cannot compare to more mainstream blu-rays & dvds. Criterion is vastly superior compared to its competition, unfortunately this also means they're more expensive ($30+) 

I've been collecting Criterions since, well, a decade ago. In 2009 my friend gave me their parents' copy of Rashomon. I remember being bewildered that people made dvd's of 1950's Japanese movies. "What is Criterion!?" I did some research and, out of curiousity, bought The Seventh Seal and was blown away by it. "I need more!" 

Throughout this decade my collection has increased and decreased dramatically, mostly depending on my financial situation. I credit Criterion for jump-starting my love for cinema, as there would be a tremendous amount of films I would not have seen without them. 

Currently they have a streaming service called Criterion Channel. I would recommend it for people who don't have the money to buy a decent collection. However, when you do have the $$$, here are my top ten Criterion recommendations. 

10. It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, Mad, World 

9. The Apu Trilogy

.
8. On the Waterfront 


7. Persona 


























6. Seven Samurai



























5. Bicycle Thieves 

4. Three Colors Trilogy

3. Dekalog

2. The Essential Jacques Demy

1. Ingmar Bergman's Cinema

No comments:

Post a Comment