The Good, The Bad and The Critic

Established on March 19th, 2012 and pioneered by film fanatic Michael J. Carlisle. The Good, The Bad and The Critic will analyze classic and contemporary films from all corners of the globe. This title references Sergei Leone's influential spaghetti western The Good, The Bad and the Ugly.

Saturday, December 21, 2019

Ten Best Films of 2019




2019 has been an incredible year for movies; even the Mainstream Hollywood pictures have been phenomenal. Every genre, except Musical because Cats, had a remarkable showing. I was introduced to many great directors; from Ari Aster (Midsommar) to Matthew Rankin (The Twentieth Century) I went to Toronto Film Festival in September and my experience was so breathtaking that I'm considering going again in 2020. 

The following list was difficult to make, as I had enjoyed plenty of pictures in 2019. I could make a list of the top 50 and I'd still be leaving movies out. If you haven't seen any of these 10, I encourage you to do your best to seek these out:

1. Portrait of a Lady on Fire (Celine Sciamma)

2. A Hidden Life (Terrence Malick)

3. Jo Jo Rabbit (Taika Waititi)

4. Marriage Story (Noah Baumbach)

5. The Lighthouse (Robert Eggers) 

6. It Must Be Heaven (Elia Suleiman) 

7. Uncut Gems (Safdie Brothers)

8. Devil Between the Legs (Arturo Ripstein)
9. Parasite (Bong Joon Ho) 

10. The Twentieth Century (Matthew Rankin)










BONUS!

11. Dolemite is My Name (Craig Brewer) 

No comments:

Post a Comment