The Good, The Bad and The Critic

Established on March 19th, 2012 and pioneered by film fanatic Michael J. Carlisle. The Good, The Bad and The Critic will analyze classic and contemporary films from all corners of the globe. This title references Sergei Leone's influential spaghetti western The Good, The Bad and the Ugly.

Friday, August 7, 2020

Theology by the Glass Rebuttal - July 22nd

 "Why Being Spiritual is Never Enough” by Fleming Rutledge

[ Theology by the Glass is a gathering by St.Benedict's table where we read an article, have food, and discuss our thoughts on it. I did not know about the July 22nd meeting, therefore I'm writing my rebuttal on here. The most recent article they discussed was Why Spirituality is Never Enough by Fleming Rutledge https://www.christianitytoday.com/ct/2018/may-web-only/fleming-rutledge-why-being-spiritual-is-never-enough.html ]

I would not call myself religious, nor would I call myself spiritual...nor would I call myself an atheist or agnostic. I feel satisfied to not have a label, because any label IS religion. 

Atheism used to be just "I like sleeping in on Sundays", but it has slowly evolved to become religion; a religion revolving around the disbelief of God. They have their leader Richard Dawkins, they have their book The God Delusion and they even meet on certain days and locations to discuss their disbelief! 

I am also baffled by people who call themselves "spiritual, but not religious". Those who preach of Karma, crystal healing, "The Secret" etc. Rutletge mirrors my opinions on these people saying "These ideas about human self-creation are deeply religious notions. They are born out of illusion, wishful thinking, and a failure to look radical evil straight in the face." It's religion without any real commitment. 

I do agree with Rutledge that it is important to make a "sharp distinction between self-justification and the utterly gratuitous, prevenient action of God." Without this distinction, as a society, we start to view "crystal healers" (whom do not require any real commitment or education) as equal to ministers & nuns (whom spend their whole lives to get that position). They should not be equal; religion should be more important to our well-being than vague "spirituality". 

"The sermons we hear on Sunday seem to be based on a biblical text, but that is not what makes a sermon biblical"

Growing up, my mother would take me to church for special ocassions like Easter & Christmas. The minister, though our neighbour, was monotone & sleep-inducing. Even as a child I could see he was going through the motions, not really that interested in the subject matter. If he, a person of faith who SHOULD care about the bible, is bored by the subject, then why should I be interested?

"If the preacher is not personally invested in expounding the text, so that he or she seems to be risking something, it’s not biblical preaching."

One reason I like St.Benedict's Table (Winnipeg, MB) , and more specifically "The Rev" Rev. Rachel Twigg's sermons is because I truly believe she is committed to the words she preaches. It is HARD to become a minister when you're a female, especially if you grew up with an evangelical mennonite mindset (in my experience hardcore Mennonites believe women should essentially be subservient to their husbands). I imagine she does not take biblical scripture lightly, even during more challenging times in her life. 

"Therefore be bold, be unafraid, dear brothers and sisters in the Lord. We have a great gospel."

I also like The Rev's sermons because they are bold; they challenge the status quo & encourage us to think differently from what we've been programmed to believe by our patriarchal society. Rather than inciting anger or shame, she encourages us to use our free will to be more observant and become better people. The Rev makes the gospel great. 


(Note: Oh wow, Fleming Rutledge is a female minister too! No wonder I found this a great read!)


No comments:

Post a Comment