The Good, The Bad and The Critic

Established on March 19th, 2012 and pioneered by film fanatic Michael J. Carlisle. The Good, The Bad and The Critic will analyze classic and contemporary films from all corners of the globe. This title references Sergei Leone's influential spaghetti western The Good, The Bad and the Ugly.

Saturday, September 12, 2020

Get the Hell Out (2020) Review

Title: Get the Gell Out
Year: 2020
Director: I.Fan Wang
Country: Taiwan
Language: Mandarin



Even though I have never been to Midnight Madness (I've been a terribly poor student in Manitoba), I am a huge fan of it due to the curator Peter Kuplowski. His choice of films, which I have watched much later in the year, are a combination of the bizarre, energetic, eerie and f***ed up. Get the Hell Out will be the first Madness film I watch as the festval is still going on! It will be my first of 10 films at that I watch throughout TIFF 2020. 

In Taiwanese Parliament, a zombie outbreak occurs and it turns local politicians into rabid zombies. 

It's too bad that we are in the middle of a pandemic ourselves, because Get the Hell Out is the perfect picture to screen as a Midnight Madness experience. I found myself literally rolling over laughing during a few scenes. Its frantic, full of energy and is full of the most absurd splatter and slapstick. This has Evil Dead levels of blood drenching the frame. Edgar Wright's Shaun of the Dead is a beloved zombie comedy, but I feel this is the more entertaining picture. 

As Kuplowski said on his pre-midnight madness live stream on twitter (@mmadnesstiff) , just google "Taiwanese parliamenr". The real thing is violent & weird, so making a brawling film about it is not that farfetched. It's a very campy, loud, in your face kinda film, but Get the Hell Out is a much needed escape (which is weird to say considering the film is about a virus that spreads through droplets) & will likely feel very missed once I've gone through 3 or 4 TIFF tearjerkers. 

Films like this allow me to fall in love with cinema again. There is fun and inventive art being made! There still are people taking chances and not playing by typical cinematic rules. Comical and outrageous, often switching styles and making bizarre references (I thought I'd never see a Simpsons Meme in a movie)  Get the Hell Out will drop your jaw & making you simultaneously say WOW & WTF. 



No comments:

Post a Comment