The Good, The Bad and The Critic

Established on March 19th, 2012 and pioneered by film fanatic Michael J. Carlisle. The Good, The Bad and The Critic will analyze classic and contemporary films from all corners of the globe. This title references Sergei Leone's influential spaghetti western The Good, The Bad and the Ugly.

Monday, October 11, 2021

No Time to Die (2021) Review

Title: No Time to Die
Year: 2021
Director: Cory Fukuda
Country: UK
Language: English 



Prior to seeing No Time to Die I had only heard two opinions about the film; it's either the best Bond in its 50+yr franchise, or the worst. I have to admit, ever since Quantum of Solace (2008) I've had a considerable lack of interest in these movies. Daniel Craig, I initially thought, could never live up to the Bond of my childhood, Piece Brosnan (Goldeneye). The combined enthusiasm of Dr. Michael W. Boyce (film professor) & Dr. Lisa Funnell (author of Geographies, Genders, and Geopolitics of James Bond ) brought my interest back from the depths. I had to see this picture, especially after it had been delayed time and time again. 

James Bond (Daniel Craig) has left active service. His peace is short-lived when Felix Leiter (Jeffery Wright) , an old friend from the CIA, turns up asking for help, leading Bond onto the trail of a mysterious villain armed with dangerous new technology.

In No Time To Die Craig's Bond has been molded to fit with our modern audiences' sensibilities. Gone are the sexist quips & attempts to make our hero the invulnerable poster-boy for toxic masculinity. What we get in return is a more intimate look at a man who is far more emotionally vulnerable than we've seen in previous ventures. I suspect this is where the divide is; a lot of people see this as a woke, sjw, neo-liberal take on a franchise that catered to men. Personally, I see it as a refreshing perspective. There's only so many times we are hand-fed the same uber-masculine 007 agent before we get bored with it.

Part of the film was a little hard to follow because I had not seen the the last few Craig films and that may be No Time to Die's biggest weakness;  it expects you to already know many of these characters.  I suspect, especially with how things played out, the days of the standalone Bond film are long gone. I appreciate that I didn't need to have seen Goldeneye to watch Die Another Day. This may also be where there's a divide; many people like that the films are a continuing series like the Marvel Cinematic Universe rather than episodic. 

No Time to Die is the longest Bond film to date, but it didn't feel that way for me. I was captivated by Director Cory Fukunaga's. at times, poetic version of Bond that blew me away with its beautiful cinematography. The film even made me re-consider my dissaproval of Billie Eilish's theme song. 



No comments:

Post a Comment