The Good, The Bad and The Critic

Established on March 19th, 2012 and pioneered by film fanatic Michael J. Carlisle. The Good, The Bad and The Critic will analyze classic and contemporary films from all corners of the globe. This title references Sergei Leone's influential spaghetti western The Good, The Bad and the Ugly.

Saturday, March 2, 2024

Dune: Part Two (2024) Review

Title: Dune Part Two
Year: 2024
Director: Dennis Villeneuve
Country: US
Language: English


When I viewed Dennis Villeneuve's Dune (2021) in theatres I found myself impressed by the epic scope of the visuals, but I also thought some scenes dragged, making the 2hr 35min run-time feel twice as long. For Dune: Part Two I was impressed by how smooth each scene flowed to the next. It is 10 minutes longer than Dune, but feels like a much more compact experience. 

Paul Atreides (Timothy Chalet) unites with Chani (Zendaya) and the Fremen while seeking revenge against the conspirators who destroyed his family.


Dune: Part Two is where this series stops feeling like a Star Wars retread and becomes a more complex socio-political commentary about political occupation, genocide, resource struggle, religion as control and the dual nature of power. Paul Atreides' mindset is more complex than "reluctant hero", as his actions feel like well thought out maneuvers to acquire power. 


Dune: Part Two has an epic scale look that others may try to imitate, but won't be able to replicate. Cinematographer Greig Fraser deserves another Oscar win for his ability to make this entry a visual feast; even during more intimate moments. Hans Zimmer's breathtaking score reverberates throughout your chest, adding to an awe-inspiring atmosphere.  


I look forward to watching the third entry to Villeneuve's Dune series. This second entry did a great job at keeping me engaged, and I feel it's the better film out of the two. I felt myself very immersed in this world; I found myself in deep thought about its themes. 




No comments:

Post a Comment