The Good, The Bad and The Critic

Established on March 19th, 2012 and pioneered by film fanatic Michael J. Carlisle. The Good, The Bad and The Critic will analyze classic and contemporary films from all corners of the globe. This title references Sergei Leone's influential spaghetti western The Good, The Bad and the Ugly.

Monday, December 26, 2016

10 Favourite "Faith" Films


Brothers and sisters, I have come to spread the gospel of our lord Jes- ok not really, I don't really identify with any particular religion, though I do think they all mean to spread joy and hope throughout the world. Despite my lack of affiliation (albeit I am mainly exposed to Christianity, as you'll see in the list), I must admit that I love faith-based films. They are really intellectually and emotionally challenging, often encouraging me to contemplate them long after the run-time is over. 

It's a shame that atheists often ignore this...genre(?) of film because they don't want to be propagated by religious followers. Granted I can see some of their point, as many modern religious movies have become far too preachy and conversion-based. I hated that silly God's Not Dead (2014) and don't get me started on War Room (2015). Hopefully Mel Gibson's Hacksaw Ridge and Martin Scorsese's Silence prove that faith on film is still a valid cinematic adventure. 


Ben Hur: A Tale of Christ (1923)

The Passion of Joan of Arc (1928)

Black Narcissus (1947)


On the Waterfront (1954)




Night of the Hunter (1955)

The Seventh Seal (1957)

Au Hasard Balthazar (1966)

 
Last Temptation of Christ (1988)


 
Passion of the Christ (2004)



There Will Be Blood (2007)



Bonus! 
Life of Brian (1979)

Prince of Egypt (1998)
 
Calvary (2014)

 

No comments:

Post a Comment